Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Godfather part 1 is worth the wait

One of my favourite words of all time is 'Serendipity'- it means a fortunate accident. And this is pretty much how I stumbled upon the film Serendpity starring John Cusack and Kate Beckinsale. Written by Mark Klien who also wrote the Russell Crowe starrer A Good Year, which is another gem and demands a separate post. The movie has stuck with me not because it has a fresh plot, an unpredictable ending or an inspiring narrative. I love the movie for its dialogues. It revolves around the notion that the universe conspires to bring two people together and no matter the time and distance that rips them apart, they find their way back to each other.
Jonathan Trager, played by a young John Cusack, is fraught by the notion that his impending marriage to his college girlfriend is a mistake because he keeps remembering this one magical night he spends with a complete stranger in New York City. And when his best man tells him to give up this romantic notion, Jonathan tells him that this magical mystery woman is like Godfather part 1, and no matter how brilliant the part 2 is, you have to watch part 1 to appreciate the sequel. The larger question to me that this scene brings to light, is the question of 'settling'.
I get asked by relatives, family and even friends, why I am still single? Well, it's because I refuse to end up with Godfather Part 2. Why didn't I chose a more lucrative career? Well, it's because being a writer is fulfilling and makes me want to get out of bed every morning.
Once, you have had that really amazing friend that you can pick up the phone at 3am and rant about life's mysteries to, you will automatically see through flippant relationships. My parents, have an enduring marriage, they make it work through distance, wars(given the nature of his job) and even time. And they are my Godfather Part 1. How could I ever settle for less?
So my hope for you is that you never have to settle. Not with love, work or friends. I know a lot of us are scared of making the wrong job move, leaving an unhealthy relationship and moving on from a toxic friendship. But, it is important to surround yourself with people and energies that inspire you. I have friends who refuse to give up on their dreams even if it means being broke, depressed and almost close to losing their mind. But, they rally on in search for their Godfather Part 1.
In the words of Don Corleone from Godfather, "I'm gonna make him an offer he can't refuse." Here's what I offer, I offer a fulfilling life.
You try in small ways to not settle and see how the big things work themselves out. You deserve the love, the life and the latte you want. Just like you imagined. Made to order with your name on it!



No comments:

Post a Comment